Cell/Biochemic Salts
Bach Flower Remedies
Obesity Treatment
Herbal Remedies
Reciprocal Links

Ferrum Magneticum
Picture of this second

Locations of visitors to this page

Manathakkali - Solanum nigrum ( BLACK NIGHTSHADE)
Started by: garcot at April 6 2010

Replies: 3 & Views: 10928    Font    Page 1 of 1            Reply

Manathakkali - Solanum nigrum ( BLACK NIGHTSHADE) By: garcot
Bangalore

April 6 2010
The following are ways in which you can use Black Nightshade(manathakkali) in your homes and communities;

Liver Disorders; Solanum nigrum is most effective for liver disorders such as chronic enlargement of the liver and associated symptons, eg. haemoptesis (blood from the mouth, mucoid stools, and other skin manifestations). The juice of the plant can be taken for this.

Chronic Skin Ailments; For example Psoriasis and Ringworm, the tender plant is used as a vegetable and a paste (as a poultice) of the plant is applied locally.

Inflammatory Conditions; The plant is taken internally as a vegetable and applied externally as a paste. Alternatively the hot leaves can be applied to the swellings.

Painful periods: the leaves are used. Crush a handful of (about 20) leaves and boil the paste with cup of water and pinch of salt, to extract the juice. Dosage; take cup of boiled leaf juice, along with meals thrice a day for 5 days during menstruation. Repeat for three cycles.

For fevers, diarrhoea, eye diseases, hydrophobia; the berries are used.

Decoction of leaves; diuretic, laxative. Decoction of berries and flowers; prescribed in cough and cold.

Manathakkali Keerai has lot of vitamins in it. Is good for mouth & stomach ulcers.

Caution: The berries when not fully ripe are toxic.

You can read all about Solanum nigrum here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_nigrum

Garcot

"wisdom in your body is deeper than your deepest philosophy"(Nietszche)

Re:Manathakkali - Solanum nigrum ( BLACK NIGHTSHADE) By: garcot
Bangalore

April 6 2010
In south india we get dried berrries ( dried after riping) and it is one of the must food supplements ( medicinal too) in especially Tamil Nadu.

Freshly prepared extracts of the plant are very effective in the treatment of cirrohosis of liver and also serve as a great antidote to opium poisoning.

You can make Manathakkali keerai masiyal this way:
http://www.sailajakitchen.com/2009/04/manathakkali-keerai-masiyal.html

Mouth ulcers are often relieved by just chewing a green leaf of S.Nigrum. This happens due to its high vitamin and mineral contents. However, like any other greens it contains oxalates which limits the quantity that can be safely consumed even as a cooked vegetable.

We in south india have the practice of eating a ball of the cooked leaf ( with just salt and very little spices) once or twice a week, which protects and maintains the liver health.

Anyone who is interested to know more about this plant can read the book Titled " Black nightshades, Solanum nigrum L. and related species"
By Jennifer M. Edmonds, James A. Chweya, International Plant Genetic Resources Institute. online at Google books here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nfau8bsLyUUC&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=solanum+nigrum+-+Vitamin+contents&source=bl&ots=KhwxFa_BUQ&sig=y5CTa2LpKpZDHR-afKC8fZ8CIU8&hl=en&ei=reC6S7CiGYHDrAfu2LW5Bw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=15&ved=0CEwQ6AEwDg#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Garcot

Re:Manathakkali - Solanum nigrum ( BLACK NIGHTSHADE) By: HomeoEnthusiast
-India-

April 6 2010
garcot,
you did not mention the famous Manathakkali Vaththal kuzhambu !!

also, the ripe ones are too good to eat! we had this plant all over our backyard - we used to pluck and eat whenever we felt like (your post took me down memory lane - and I am very nostalgic about my childhood experiences!)

Also, you mentioned:
"Caution: The berries when not fully ripe are toxic. "

It is precisely the raw berries (green) that we pluck from the plant and then drop into curd / thick buttermilk (some salt is added to the curd) and then take it out and dry in the sun during the day - in the evening, drop it back into the curd - (this cycle is repeated for a few days until the berries absorb the curd well and the berries are dry) . Such a preparation is called Vattal. My grandma would do this very often at home. This is what is used to prepare the famous Manathakkali Vaththal kuzhambu.

And finally the berries dried in this fashion (Manathakkali VATHTHAL) will stay for very long (months and years perhaps - it will disappear sooner than that though!) - we fry this in very little ghee and then eat it with plain cooked rice - to get rid of gastric complaints - i have often experienced wonderful results with this berry (vaththal) whenever I suffered severe acidity which did not respond well to any other medicine.

-rams

Re:Manathakkali - Solanum nigrum ( BLACK NIGHTSHADE) By: garcot
Bangalore

April 6 2010
Hi rams,

Nice to hear from you after a while. Hope you are doing good.

Ya, you are right, I have eaten many of these berries as as a small boy in chennai. Ofcourse, vaththal is the classic preparation. Even today, my folks at chennai use this vaththal.

The green berries, I remember as boys, used to taste bitter and we would spit it out and avoid swallowing. I guess, it was more instinctive behaviour.

You said: It is precisely the raw berries (green) that we pluck from the plant and then drop into curd / thick buttermilk (some salt is added to the curd) and then take it out and dry in the sun during the day - in the evening, drop it back into the curd - (this cycle is repeated for a few days until the berries absorb the curd well and the berries are dry) .

This method of preparation, I believe, removes the toxicity and that could be the reason, why it was adopted.

And finally, thanks for sharing your experiences about manathakkali.

Warm regards
Garcot

Page 1 of 1
Page 1 of 1
IMPORTANT: This site provides only educational materials, all advices given here are only for educational purpose.