Obesity Treatment
Herbal Remedies
Reciprocal Links

Quillaya Saponaria
Picture of this second

Locations of visitors to this page

TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINUSITIS AND ALLERGIES
Started by: Joe De Livera at April 18 2008

Replies: 27 & Views: 9940    Font    Page 1 of 2  Goto page 1, 2  Next          Reply

TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINUSITI By: Joe De Livera
Sri Lanka

April 18 2008
I have had some success in the treatment of Catarrh which is also referred to as Hay Fever, Sinusitis and Allergies. The symptoms of Catarrh include the inflammation of the mucous membranes and often results in frequent sneezing, coryza or running nose, tearing in the eyes and a general feeling of malaise.

I am copying an extract from an article on Medline on the link below which I would recommend to those suffering from this ailment to read in its entirety.

http://www.medicinenet.com/allergy/article.htm

What does an allergy mean?

An allergy refers to an exaggerated reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. It is exaggerated because these foreign substances are usually seen by the body as harmless and no response occurs in non- allergic people. Allergic people's bodies recognize the foreign substance and one part of the immune system is turned on. Allergy-producing substances are called "allergens." Examples of allergens include pollens, dust mite, molds, danders, and foods. To understand the language of allergy it is important to remember that allergens are substances that are foreign to the body and can cause an allergic reaction in certain people.

When an allergen comes in contact with the body, it causes the immune system to develop an allergic reaction in persons who are allergic to it. When you inappropriately react to allergens that are normally harmless to other people, you are having an allergic reaction and can be referred to as allergic or atopic. Therefore, people who are prone to allergies are said to be allergic or "atopic."

Austrian pediatrician Clemens Pirquet (1874-1929) first used the term allergy. He referred to both immunity that was beneficial and to the harmful hypersensitivity as "allergy." The word allergy is derived from the Greek words "allos," meaning different or changed and "ergos," meaning work or action. Allergy roughly refers to an "altered reaction." The word allergy was first used in 1905 to describe the adverse reactions of children who were given repeated shots of horse serum to fight infection. The following year, the term allergy was proposed to explain this unexpected "changed reactivity."

Allergy Fact

* It is estimated that 50 million North Americans are affected by allergic conditions.
* The cost of allergies in the United States is more than $10 billion dollars yearly.
* Allergic rhinitis (nasal allergies) affects about 35 million Americans, 6 million of whom are children.
* Asthma affects 15 million Americans, 5 million of whom are children.
* The number of cases of asthma has doubled over the last 20 years.

It is a matter of concern that modern medicine does not have a drug that can help a patient within a short period of say 24 hours and the following drugs are listed in the article referred to above and used for treatment:

* hydroxyzine, Vistaril, Atarax
* prednisone, Deltasone, Liquid Pred
* diphenhydramine, Benadryl
* prednisolone, Pediapred Oral Liquid, Medrol
* fluticasone propionate nasal inhaler-spray, Flonase, Veramyst
* loratadine, Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert, others
* cetirizine, Zyrtec
* fexofenadine, Allegra
* chlorpheniramine, pseudoephedrine, Deconamine, Sudafed
* loratadine and pseudoephedrine, Claritin-D
* LORATADINE-ORAL, Claritin
* FEXOFENADINE 180MG TABLET-ORAL, Allegra
* CETIRIZINE SYRUP-ORAL, Zyrtec
* FEXOFENADINE-ORAL, Allegra
* FEXOFENADINE /PSEUDOEPHEDRINE EXTENDED RELEASE-ORAL, Allegra D
* LORATADINE WITH PSEUDOEPHEDRINE 24 HOUR TABLET-ORAL, Claritin-D
* CETIRIZINE-ORAL TABLET, Zyrtec
* DESLORATADINE-ORAL, Clarinex
* LORATADINE WITH PSEUDOEPHEDRINE-ORAL SUSTAINED RELEASE TABLET, Claritin-D
* LORATADINE SYRUP-ORAL, Claritin
* LORATADINE DISPERSIBLE TABLET-ORAL, Alavert, Claritin RediTabs
* PROMETHAZINE-ORAL, Phen-Tuss, Phenergan
* cromolyn, Nasalcrom, Intal; Opticrom
* cyproheptadine-oral
* fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine, Allegra-D
* fluticasone propionate oral inhaler, Flovent
* antihistamines-oral
* flunisolide nasal spray, Nasalide
* beclomethasone dipropionate inhaler, Vanceril
* fluorometholone-ophthalmic suspension, FML
* triamcinolone acetonide nasal inhaler-spray, Nasacort, Nasacort AQ
* pseudoephedrine/cetirizine extended release-oral, Zyrtec-D
* desloratadine, Clarinex
* azelastine, Astelin
* salmeterol, Serevent
* clemastine-oral, Tavist
* triamcinolone acetonide inhaler, Azmacort
* beclomethasone dipropionate nasal inhaler-spray, Vancenase, Beconase
* budesonide nasal inhaler-spray, Rhinocort, Rhinocort Aqua
* propylene glycol-polyethylene glycol gel-nasal, Rhinaris
* epinastine-ophthalmic, Elestat
* propylene glycol/polyethylene glycol spray-nasal, Rhinaris

You will remember that the first page of this article on Allergies copied above states:

" The cost of allergies in the United States is more than $10 billion dollars yearly."

It is a matter of concern that in spite of this multitude of drugs which are used throughout the world to treat this ailment which affects over 50 Million patients in the US alone, it does not seem possible for modern medicine to cure the patient who presents this disease. This is the reason for the vast multitude of drugs listed above being used one after the other and this of course keeps both the physician and the Pharmacological industry content and happy. The cost to the poor suffering patient is of course not counted in this equation and the side effects of using powerful drugs especially steroids is best left unsaid.

The remedy that I have used successfully in many hundreds of cases is BACILLINUM 200 in the DRY DOSE. I have specified the dry dose which is available in pellets as the Wet Dose that I have promoted on this and other forums to be used with remedies for other ailments does not work to help patients for some reason I do not understand.

The dosage is just 6 pellets taken sublingually in one dose. Many patients have reported that within the hour they have experienced that their watery discharge and itching in the nose dries up and within 24 hours the patient is "cured".

It will be noticed that I have highlighted the word "Cured" with a parenthesis. This is because I do not feel that Catarrh can ever be cured as many factors are involved in the patient's body that contribute to the onset and the treatment of this disease. It is my belief that this disease can only be controlled by repeated doses of this same remedy which can be used over a period of time when the effects of the first dose wear off in about a month. A repeat dose is then taken and the patient will discover that the next recurrence of Catarrh will be delayed perhaps for another 2 months when another dose is taken and so on.

Please note that Bacillinum must not be taken on a daily basis. It is also important to note that it is only the 200c potency that will help the patient. Please read the instructions that I have given above which must be followed literally.

I would appreciate if patients who read this long post will please record their own response on this Forum to this amazing remedy Bacillinum 200.

It has been reported that Bacillinum 200 is not available in the US. It is however available from CELLTECH whose advertisement is carried on every page of our Forum and can be ordered for delivery by mail.

Re: TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINU By: ktsuda
Sri Lanka

May 1 2008
To Mr. Livera,
my son aged 9 has a problem of sinusitises./ reddish eyes and nose irritation. anti histamines settles the issue temporarily
Milk at night.,dairy foods like curd, aggravates the problem. A head bath invariably brings this on. Samahan and special oils like NIkha bring some relief.This problem appears to be in the family. My father had catarrh. I have had tonsillectomy done on me at 14 years, but never have had the problem of sinusitises My eldest daughter aged 22 has a similar problem/ especially in the mornings/
Can I use Bacillinum 200 on them. Is the dose of 6 pellets okay for both

ktsuda

Re: TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINU By: udaya kumar
--

May 1 2008
Your son is suffering from Lactose intolerance. Sinus is a separate problem brought on by continuous medication by antihistamines. Stop milk products completely. We can work out medicines slowly and in the meantime Joes prescriptions will help you a long way. best wishes. Bacillinum should be sparingly used or very occassionally.

--

Re: TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINU By: Joe De Livera
Sri Lanka

May 1 2008
As I stated in my post above I have had some success in the treatment of Catarrh using Bacillinum 200 in just one dose which is repeated in about a month to provide a booster dose which is usually good for about 6 months.

In the case of your children I would recommend that you too use this remedy which is available in all homeopathic pharmacies in India. Get this remedy in the pellet form and give about 6 pellets to your patients sublingually. Please note that this remedy will not work in the Wet Dose which I have promoted on this forum.

It is understood that you will not antidote this remedy by using coffee, preserved meats like sausages, ham and bacon and cold beverages.

You will observe that your patients will respond within about 2-3 hours to this remedy if it is the correct choice.

Please post their response on this Forum.

Re: TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINU By: Bellkeys

May 5 2008
Bacillinum 200 is only available by prescription, any other recommendations or pharmacy that it can be purchased?

Bellkeys

Sri Lanka

May 6 2008
Bacillinum 200 is available from Celltech who have advertised at the top of this page.

Re: TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINU By: Bellkeys

May 6 2008
thank you I have ordered it

Bellkeys

Re: TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINU By: ktsuda
Sri Lanka

May 30 2008
As suggested by Mr. Livera I gave my son a single dose of Bacillinum 200 on may 5th. He hasnt so far had an attack of sinusitis.
He did catch a cold. I gave him Ferr Phos which helped but not much. Then I switched to Belladona 200 single dose and within a day he was fine .

He has a problem mostly after a head bath or in cold weather conditons.His problems are mostly in the nose and rarely in the throat and down below
Kindly advice on the correct dosages as he is now 9 years old

ktsuda

Sri Lanka

June 1 2008
The Bacillinum 200 you gave your son should increase his resistance to all URT infections and I believe that you have noticed this improvement already. It is unfortunate that he caught a new cold but hopefully the frequency of his catching future colds should reduce.

I note that you gave him Ferr Phos but you did not state the potency which should be 6x. Dose 2 tablets every 3 hours till his cold clears up. This should be given as soon as he presents a cold. This is perhaps the reason why it did not work. I note that you cleared his cold with Bell 200 but I have not used it in this manner as Bell is usually good for the throat. This remedy should not be used on a daily basis.

You can give him 2 tablets of Ferr Phos 6x every night for a week and see if this prevents his frequent colds. Instruct him to report any tickling of the nose to you and if he sneezes with coryza, give him the Ferr P as instructed.

Re:TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINUS By: geri-k

June 13 2009
Dear Dr Livera

I found this information and I am greatly interested in your idea about baccilinum 200 for catarrh. I have suffered for years and have tried so many remedies.

I suffer from a permanent post-nasal drip, which has become worse in the past 5-10 years. I choke at night and just can't clear the stuff out of my head. My husband has the same, but more severe symptoms, ie much greater volume of mucus.

I searched online, and was only able to purchase baccilinum 6c. Do you think this might even a little if I take it regularly, say 3 or four times a day? Or should I take enough of the pellets to make up 200c? I can search again if you think that my symptoms are suited.

I’m very excited about this; my husband also suffers. Both our families have symptoms, and our son’s symptoms are increasing.

Thanking you in anticipation

Sri Lanka

June 14 2009
I believe that you have read my posts on your ailment on this Forum and on the ABC where I note that you have posted your problem, although in my email I directed you to this Forum as I do not actively participate on the ABC today.

You can get the Bacillinum 200 in pellets from Celletech whose address appears on every page of this Forum at the top. I note that you have already purchased the 6c which you propose to take 3-4 times daily. You cannot make the 200c potency by taking multiple doses of 6c as this can be dangerous. Please note that Bacillinum is a Nosode which cannot be taken lightly other than as prescribed by me in just ONE dose of 6 pellets sublingually. A repeat dose may be taken in about 2-4 weeks depending on your response to the first dose.

You should discover that your PND will cease in about an hour after taking the first dose when all the Coryza and sneezing should cease.

If however you do not respond in this manner please fill up the form entitled "Patients click here to present the whole picture."

June 20 2009
Thank you for your guidance. I have taken the 6 pellets of Bacillinum 200c a little over 24 hours ago. Within an hour there was a definite drop in the volume of catarrh. I sill suffer from a little post nasal drip, but not close to the extent that I did previously. I'll give it a few more days - maybe it'll clear further - and then my husband will try the same dose.

Sri Lanka

June 20 2009
Good to know that Joepathy has worked as predicted yet again and that the Bacillinum has cleared up your Cattarh within the hour. In your case it would be OK to take the second dose in a week if your PND does not also clear up within 48 hours.

In the meanwhile you can take Ferr Phos 6x dose 2 tablets thrice daily. This too helps to clear up PND and stuffy nasal passages.

July 9 2009
I have taken two doses of bacillinum as suggested, and continue to take the ferr phos three times a day. Symptoms appear to be as before.

1. Age/Sex/Country/Climate:
43 / female / ireland / cool, damp

2. Current complain - from how long:
Post nasal drip. Most of adult life, but much more pronounced in past 6-8 years

3. Current medicine you are taking:
Lithium 600mg daily, amitriptylene 150 mg daily

4. Sign & Symptom of disease:
Permanent dirty nose. Catarrh always present. Coughing in night due to volume of PND. Meds cause dry mouth.

5. Breif medical history:
Tonsils removed 1991. Recurring UTIs since childhood. Depressive periods since late 2004, numerous changes in prescribed medication, but have been on current cocktail for over two years.

6. Family Back Ground:
Mother living; arthritis from early 40s. Father passed at age 66 with cancer of oesophagus [heavy smoker/recovered alcoholic]

7. Education and Nature of Profession of Patient:
Finished highschool. Civil servant - medically retired 4 years ago. Studying for computing degree ended with last depressive breakdown.

8. Desires and aversion of food:
Enjoy pasta, italian food. Diet mainly chicken. Can't eat spicy food - too sore on tongue. Breads, carbs are among favourite.Very few aversions- liver, kidneys, and I can handle very small amount of pork

9. Mind-behavior, anger, irritability, hurry..etc.:
Very particular, high standards in housekeeping and order in all things- but can laugh at myself when these strange behaviours are seen by others. Can be impatient those close to me - can't be late at any time. The thought of being late for something induces nausea. Used to deliver seminars to groups of up to 40 people with no problems before my depression took hold again. Very family orientated, christian home. Married to a beautiful man - besotted with him since the day we met. No fighting or arguing. We have two teenagers who are good kids and have never had me worry about them. I am aware that I am very distant when ill - and this can last for months at a time, but I am very good to my friends, and make friends easily. ~Not good at going out to functions, but love to have a house full of guests to feed and entertain. I enjoy simple things in life, and live within my means.

10. What makes it worse and what makes it better:
I haven't noticed any change. Obviously when I have a cold it gets worse. My GP has given me nasal spray which dries it a bit, but it seemds to dry out my head totally.

11. Thirst/Tongue/diabetic...:
Drink plenty - mouth dry due to medication. My tongue is very sensitive and i put this down to the dryness. I also grind my teeth at night and wonder if this could also be affecting my tongue.

Sri Lanka

July 9 2009
Many cases of chronic Catarrh have responded to the Bacillinum 200 therapy. In your case if it has not helped so far, it is unlikely that it will do so in the future.

I presume that you ordered your stock from Celletech as this remedy must be freshly made to be effective.

I hope that Udaya can help you further.

Sri Lanka

July 10 2009
I have helped a case similar to yours that did not respond to Bacillinum 200 with Allium Cepa 30c in the Wet dose taken twice daily.

Please report your response after a few days.

Re:TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINUS By: udaya kumar
--

July 10 2009
I think she should stop that nuclear medicine Lithium unless she is absolutely sure about what and for what she is taking that and its complete background unless one want to have a costly eperiment with ones own body. To my mind, Lithium in material doses cannot be a panacea.
As far as amitryoptiline is concerned, the visible side effects you already have and that is dry mouth. Just have a look at other side effects in the link below:
bipolar.about.com/cs/sfx/a/sfx_elavil.htm
or any other links. You should stop this medicine as it was given for your depressive break down. use one dose of Aurum metalicum 30 for depression.

See, your major problem is the removal of your Tonsils which keep you haunted with respiratory ailments. When we advise not to remove tonsils, it is not well taken.

The major symptom in you have been said by yourself.:

1. Very particular, high standards in housekeeping and order in all things -Arsenic Album

2. Chronic Coryza, hayfever like symptoms - Arsenic Album.

3. The thought of being late for something induces nausea.-Arsenic Album

4. Very family orientated, -Arsenic Album

5. Restlessnes - If not punctual - Arsenic Album

6. but I am very good to my friends, and make friends easily. - This is not because you are only good to others you are a good listner - Arsenic album

7. I enjoy simple things in life, and live within my means. -Arsenic Album
8. Grinding of teeth - Probably Cina
but Arsenic Album has it (Allen:www.homeoint.org/seror/cowperthwaite/ars_a.htm) (Kent: www.homeoint.org/hidb/kent/a/ars-3.htm )
You may start your medication with Nux Vomica 30 three doses for one day to antidot the ill effects of the medicines you have taken. Following it with Pulsatilla 200 one dose each for three days to antidot the female symptoms created by the medicines used). Start medication with 1M one dose of Tuberculinum.(one single globule)

Use Arsenicum Album 30 three times a day for three days. If improvement is not noticed use Arsenicum Album 200 one dose a day for three days. You should be ok after that.

With best wishes.

--

July 10 2009
Thank you both for your replies.

I am to be away for a week and when i return i will look into these suggestions.

However, with regard to the amitriptylene and the lithium, I am monitored regularly by my family doctor as well as my psychiatrist to ensure that doses are correct and needed. This dosage i currently take has remained the same for about two years now, and is keeping me reasonably well [this is as good as it gets, and that's ok with me]. I have tried many, many other antidepressants [under medical supervision] in the past 15 years and none have come close to the good that my current prescription does. I will remain on these two drugs for as long as i feel that they are helping me.

Can i still try your recent suggestions whilst on the meds?

--

July 10 2009
Dear Geri,

Thank you for your decision based on personal experience and opnions of your doctor and psychiatrist.

I am not against Lithium. Lithium is a primordial element and I am well aware of its functons in the neurotransmitters and serotinin synthesis,which fundamentally controls the MOOD, THE ANGER AND THE APPETITE AMONG OTHER THINGS,AND ALSO FUNCTIONS IN THE GUT REGULATING INTESTINAL MOVEMENTS, which were basically your problems earlier which has not found mention here.

As a primordial element it has affnity to Gross element Ether and therefore the sphere of functon of the Ether which is the mind, and that too in the sub-atomic etherian level of mind, I repeat not at the aerial level. I am also aware of its role in manic depressive disorder or Bipolar disorders. I was only apprehensive about the material doses which has having a sedative affect which controls the depressiveness simultaneously has too many side effects which will in due course add to your miseries, just like the decision to remove the tonsils is giving you troubles even today.

My suggestion was it could have been used in the Homeopathic doses which will NOT HAVE the side effects and give you all the benefits you are presently enjoying alongwith a PERMANENT cure to the malady extricate you from a life long management medication. Lithium Bromide for e.g. will be an excellent hypnotic medicine for mood swings. Anyway since you are happy with your present medication, I would close this chapter here. Your cleanliness high standards is more of obsessive compulsiveness and Arsenic Album may not be sufficient here. With all the best wishes on your road to recovery. With warm regards,

--

Re:TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINUS By: nuranga
Sri Lanka

November 3 2009
Hi Mr. Livera,

I have been going through your posts on abchomepathy.com as well and I was glad to find this forum of yours. I'm looking for a suitable remedy for my condition. First of all I'd like to know what exactly Catarrh is. Is it what we call "PEENASA" in Sinhalese, or is it something else? Could you please explain that? I believe what I have is PEENASA.

* I sneeze.
* I have a little phlegm.
* I have a mild Asthma condition which, I would say, is not so severe but it certainly concerns me.
* I sometimes find myself wheezing especially at night, in the morning when I wake up and when I'm exposed to a lot of dust.
* I have also developed dark circles around the eyes.
* My head feels very heavy when I bend down.

I have filled the patient's questionnaire with detail as well and I look forward to your response. Thank you…

Sri Lanka

November 3 2009
The patient's questionnaire did not get into your post but you can copy and paste it as it is designed to give more information on your ailment.

I presume that you have read the other posts on this thread and you would have seen that the default remedy I prescribe for Catarrh is Bacillinum 200 which invariably helps to stop the coryza in a few minutes.

The symptoms you have described indicate Catarrh but the Wheezing you have described can indicate Asthma.

You can meet me at my office after phoning me on 2439422 between 10.30AM and 3.00PM when I am in office and I can give you the Bacillinum 200.

After I meet you I can diagnose your wheeze and give you the relevant remedy.

--

November 3 2009
Peenasa or peenasam whether in Sinhala or Sanskrit, is Rhinitis/Allergic Rhinits/Sinusitis.

--

Re: TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINU By: nuranga
Sri Lanka

November 4 2009
Mr. Livera, thank you for the reply. I realize that I failed to post the patient's questionnaire with my case. My wheezing is occasional, it doesn't happen everyday. And do you think Bacillinum 200 will help me even with the wheezing?
I also post the questionnaire below.

1: Age/Sex/Country/Climate
24/Male/Sri Lanka/Hot and humid

2: Current complaint - from how long
Catarrh for more than five years

3: Current medicine you are taking
I have recently taken cetrizine. It seems to help, but only temporary. At the moment I am not taking any medication.

4: Sign & Symptom of disease
I have a little phlegm.
Sneezing, particularly in the morning and at night.
I have an occasional wheezing (not always) at night and it's invariable when exposed to a lot of dust.
Nostrils sound like a whistle when I breathe, it disturbs sleeping.
Dark circles around eyes.
Inside head, cheeks and the area around eyes feel heavy when I bend over.

5: Breif medical history
From time to time, I have taken prescriptions from doctors for Catarrh and the wheezing. The periods of medication were not lengthy.

6: Family Back Ground
Father has a similar catarrh condition and phlegm.

7: Education and Nature of Profession of Patient
Sportsman and student

9: Desires and aversion of food
Like to eat green leaves, fruits, sweets.

10: Mind-behavior, anger, irritability, hurry, impatient…etc..
I am a bit emotional and sensitive. Sometimes I find myself impatient and in a rush. I get angry quickly when I am blamed for something I am not responsible for.

11: What makes it worse and what makes it better
When I go out at night without a cover to my head (eg. a hat), it gets worse. And consuming cold food & drinks at night also makes it worse. Applying hair gel seems to make it worse, although I'm not sure it could be a cause.
Drinking hot water helps.

12: Thirst/Tongue/diabetic
Before I go to bed I feel thirsty, So i drink water. It happens pretty much everyday. I feel thirsty when I wake up in the morning as well.

Sri Lanka

November 4 2009
Thank you for completing the questionnaire.

Bacillinum cannot help your wheeze but you should feel relief from your Catarrh in a few hours. A repeat dose is necessary in about a month or sooner if you present symptoms earlier.

Your Asthma can be helped and in most cases cured with another remedy but I will have to get more data from you to identify which remedy will suit your case.

If your Catarrh responds to the Bacillinum your dad too can take it later.

Re:TREATMENT OF CATARRH ALSO REFERRED TO AS HAY FEVER, SINUS By: Dr R.K.Khatri
Mumbai, India

November 4 2009
Dear joe,

Please tell me Beccillium 200 can be given to

diabetes patients.

Regards

Dr R.K.Khatri

Dr In Naturopathy

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
IMPORTANT: This site provides only educational materials, all advices given here are only for educational purpose.