Canchalagua
Picture of this second

Locations of visitors to this page

Lump in the back of my skull
Started by: raghunandan at December 8 2007

Replies: 20 & Views: 47578    Font    Page 1 of 1            Reply

Lump in the back of my skull By: raghunandan

December 8 2007
I have a question reguarding something odd on the back of my skull. I seem to have a lump there, I dont know how long its been there. I think since I was 8 that I can remember but maybe longer. I didnt feel back there regularly. Im almost 20 now. It doesnt give me any pain and it doesnt grow. Its hard just like part of the skull except its about the size of a small marble. Is it normal for some people to have this or should I be concerned? Basically I cant lay my head perfectly flat because of this thing. Like I said though, it seems to be part of the skull as it rounded and not just a protrusion in the middle of no where. Just thought id ask.

Re: Lump in the back of my skull By: raghunandan

December 28 2007
Still waiting for reply pl.

Re: Lump in the back of my skull By: udaya kumar
--

December 29 2007
From your description it seems to be a sebaceous cyst or a lipoma. Both are normally benign and harmless. Unless you irritate it with your fingers it does not grow or its growth is very slow. On the head it is normally found in the medulla/occiput region. A ssebaceous cyst is a closed sac filled with semi solid material called sebum produced by sebaceous glands. Both are confined to epidermis or skin level. In comparison a lipoma is composed of fatty tissues. In other words it may be caused by uneven distribution of fat which gets deposited on isolated spots. Both can be excised with simple surgical procedures leaving scars. In the case of cysts its complete removal is essential by a good surgeon, otherwise it can reappear. Both leaves scars. Unless it is giving you trouble other than the simple irritation, it is advisable to forget about it. Visiting a good surgeon for confirmation would be a better choice.In Homeopathy there are recorded cases of success with Calcaria Flour and other medicines in isolated individual cases and in your case a local homeo doctor may be of help as the treatment are normally prolonged and choice of right medicines or success depends on your individual symptoms. best wishes.

--

Re: Lump in the back of my skull By: Pat2006M

December 29 2007
I concur with udaya.

Animals get those lumps too. My dog has a large marble size lump under her jaw bone and one on her belly and she used to have a very large one on the very top of her head. These lumps are about 11 (eleven) years old. The different vets that have examined the lumps have never been alarmed by them nor have any of them ever suggested any treatment for them. They are as, udaya, indicated, sebum deposits Apparently, a lot of dogs get these.

One vet offered the option of surgery but only if the dog ever needed surgery for some other reason.

Homeopathy has never had any affect on any of the lumps.

The first time I gave my dog Arnica, it made her large lump on top of her head itchy or achy because she scratched it off. It grew back, but when I had to give her another dose of Arnica several months later, she scratched it off again and it never grew back.

Now I wonder what would have happened if I would have given her several doses of Arnica? LOL Wonder if she would scratch the other ones off too? LOL

I understand most humans have lumps all over. It is normal to have them and they are normally nothing to be alarmed about.

You can think about giving Calc Flour a try.

I knew someone who had some success at dissolving a couple of very small lumps using acidophilus. He had one on the top of his hand and one at the base of his neck.

Re: Lump in the back of my skull By: girilal
New Jersey USA

December 30 2007
It it is not growing, no pain, no inflammation. There is no cause to worry.

girilal

December 30 2007
Also, try a down pillow. You can use it on top of your current pillow or on top of any surface you want to put your head against.

They are easily washed in the washing machine too. They can be dried in the dryer to puff them up.

I have never put mine in the dryer and I am very happy with it. I dry it outside in the very hot sun.

If you live in the USA, this is the perfect time to get one as so many stores are practically giving away so much of their merchandise. Try Wal-Mart, Sears, Anna's, Target, Marshall's/TJ Max, K-Mart etc. Maybe Martha Stewart carries them at K-Mart. Try E-bay also.

Down vests are also available that you can carry around with you. I bought one for my dog and I wash it in the washing machine.

I just checked E-bay. It looks like some people are selling two down pillows for .99 plus $11.99 for shipping

December 31 2007
No it is not growing, it does not pain. I always saw it there. So there is no cause to worry???

January 1 2008
No cause to worry.

Keep looking for homeopathic remedies to help remove it. Don't give up trying.

If you don't find someone online to help you, do a google search at your place of residence to help you find a homeopath where you live.

January 2 2008
I feel I had pain their on that spot about 4 times in my life. may be I slept with my head resting right upon that lump.

--

January 2 2008
If you sleep on your hand, your hand will also register pain. Lumps are no exception. Nothing at all to worry.

--

January 5 2008
You all relieved me from a big worry. I guess that is the structure of my head.

Re: Lump in the back of my skull By: Rob Hinkley
St Albans, UK

January 5 2008
If the lump is at the back and near the base of your skull then it is called the 'inion', or 'external occipital protuberance'. It is part of one of the bones of the skull, which we all have, and some of the muscles in the neck are attached to it.
It is a perfectly normal and necessary part of human anatomy.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inion for more details.

--

January 5 2008
Thanks Mr. Rob Hinkley.

Do we have to really go into wikipedia for these fundamentals. We analyse the patients version, thoroughly in the absence of their physical presence, with the very limited symptoms they communicate and we have to go by what the patient say. Everything written here is for educative purpose only. If anyone puts into practice and is benefited by it, it is good for him. Homeo medicines suggested here are harmless and curative and are time tested and proved on human beings and not on rats, guinea pigs and monkeys.

Now, the patient said, and I quote " It is about the size of a marble... Basically I can't lay my head perfectly flat because of this thing......not a protrusion in the middle of no where.... just thought Id ask."

So...? Do all of us who are carrying this inion - " the external occipital protuberance" find it difficult to lay head perfectly flat ? Or do we all feel it like the size of a marble there? At least I haven't seen it in my family or neighbourhood nor felt it. But I have certainly seen lumps in that particular area being excised by surgeons of repute in many parts of the world including USA. I have also seen bigger bumps on some of those who regularly do sarvangasana. Do I have to take it that the Inions are growing?

And that is why a physical examination was required and a confirmation from a qualified doctors in the form of facts before a homeo medicine is suggested. And so advised. Even if it is the inion, I very much doubt, the advise is valid. With due regards.

--

January 5 2008

Re: Lump in the back of my skull By: Rob Hinkley
St Albans, UK

January 5 2008
Dear Mr Kumar,
I, also, analysed raghunandan's version: a small bony lump on the back of the skull, about the size of a marble, always been there, painless and not growing: that sounds just like his inion. As for laying his head perfectly flat, when lying on a flat surface the inion can often be - depending on the exact position of the head - the part of the head that touches the ground. I've never thought of this as a difficulty, but that could be what raghunandan meant by it stopping him from lying his head "perfectly flat".
I'd be surprised if you've never noticed this protuberence on your skull: just run your fingers up your spine, up over the fleshy part of your neck and the first bony part of the skull you encounter is a little sticky-out lump.

January 5 2008
to an inexperienced and a lay person the bumps could feel like bone and be described as bone. I have experience in feeling large bumps on my dog and to me they feel as hard as marbles, but to the diferent vets that have felt them and seen them they are not bones.

The lump on the very top of my dog's head also felt as hard as bone, but I know from experience that it wasn't after my dog scratched it off and it bled unlike a bone would. If it was bone, my dog would not have been able to scratch it off. It turned out to be filled with fluid and not bone.

I suggest Mr. raghun get a professional in person to look at it.

My sense tells me it is not a bone mass.

--

January 6 2008
Waste of breath.

--

January 6 2008
Udaya,

what I said was defintely a waste of breath, but I didn't realize it until I read his post to Joe De Livera.

Your post was not a waste of breath. I laughed so very loud. It was great to see your passion. So often I feel like I'm the only one who has passion.

Try so hard to ignore those kinds of people and that is why I spend very little time on the internet. I get sucked into just what I try to avoid.

Soon I will stop coming here also especially since girilal sold the site.

January 7 2008
It had a good laugh seeing udaya stick up for himself.

I was beginning to feel like Sophia in The Color Purple when she got out of jail.

When this website grows and it start becoming like ABC, I will absolutely abondon this site just like I did ABC.

So grateful for girilal that he started this website. It saddens me that he has sold it.

January 20 2008
I am not worried about this lump anymore. I have seen it in some other people too. LOL

January 20 2008
Hi rag

Glad to know you are at peace with the lump.

Thanks for letting us know.

Page 1 of 1
Page 1 of 1
IMPORTANT: This site provides only educational materials, all advices given here are only for educational purpose.