Picture of this second

Locations of visitors to this page

Sugar Fall
Started by: Jayashree at June 8 2007

Replies: 22 & Views: 18560    Font    Page 1 of 1            Reply

Sugar Fall By: Jayashree
Calcutta, India

June 8 2007
I have been a diabetic for a few years now. This year my blood sugar PP was hovering above 250. On 30th April it was 287..
I had just started doing yoga with a teacher and told her this problem. She promisd to cure me with asanas.
Just 2 days back my sugar had fallen to 186..
These are the asanas she made me do, plus other ones too, but she said that these helped lower my sugar and I am sharing this with al on the forum. At this instant I must mention that the cinnamon and Arnica therapy did not help me in the long run, though in the beginning my sugar had dropped. I have a sedentary life and dysentry from the last yr had weakened me a lot and I was unable to do any walking, as my feet would get very sore..
The asanas prescribed are
1. Matsyendra asana - 2 minutes
2. Janu Shirasana - 2 minutes
3. Kapalbhatti - to the count of 200.
This may be double dutch to many peope, and I will advise them to look up on the net.
best wishes to all who try this.
regards

Jayashree Kanoi

Re: Sugar Fall By: shuddha

June 11 2007
Respected Jayashree,

Just read your article on sugar fall. I am very happy to note that your sugar has come down and you are well. One way I use to feel, whenever I read your explanation for different remedies, the cleanliness of presentation.

You might have noted that I am Shuddha, who has written about VITAL FORCE in this forum, in about 10 postings. I am a trained Yogi, with about 30 years of sadhana.

Out of the two asana's you have mentioned I need to inform you something.
Matsyasana : This is a bit difficult for aged people to do. I do not know your age. Usually, we do Ardha Matsyasana, which is comparatively easy to do and gives full benefits of Matsyendra Asana. I hope you know the Asana I mentioned.

Janu Shirasasna : I have not heard about it. But I want to caution a word about Shirasasana. Persons aged about 40, unless having more than 10 years of doing Shirasasana, Should not do it, as it can lead to Cerebral Hemorrhage. Instead pl. Do Ardha Shirasasana. There your full blood flow does not attack the brain.. But it gives the full benefit of Shirasasana.

Kabala Bhati : 200 times seems to be on the higher side.. May be you are doing short spell. As I do not know the full details, I am just mentioning that long spells of inhalation and exhalation would help you much better.

Lastly: I suggest a specific asana taught by My GURU, Swamiji Shuddhananda Bharati. It is Pancreasan. It is done along with Sarvangasan. It is usually Sarganga Asan, Pancreasan, and Liver Asan. Details are available in "YOGA FOR ALL" published by us, written by Swamiji Shuddhananda Bharati. I have seen sugar levels of 300+ falling down, without insulin, to 100+ in about 15 days time, with no side effect.

If you tell me your age, BP, and other relevant details, I would be able to precisely guide you the asans and timings for these asans.

Shuddha

Re: Sugar Fall By: Jayashree
Calcutta, India

June 12 2007
Respected Shuddha,
Yes i do Ardha Matsyendra asana.. Janu Shirasana is to put your left foot near your groin and hold the right ankle for 30 secs, alternate and repeat, to do twice. Kapala Bhati, my teacher said slowly I must go up to a thousand. She ie 56 and does it. I am 47 at present.
I suffer from high BP too which fluctuates. Last checked was 140/95. I take medicines for both with calcium, Vit E & B complex. I also suffer from Raynauds Syndrome, which is a circulatory problem and is very rare.
There are too many details, but my yoga teacher is quite knowledgable. Just yesterday I had a severe cold. She told me to put 4 fenugreek seeds on tapes and tape them under my nails, four fingers of my left hand and guaranteed that by evening my cold would go.. Yes it went. First time I did not suffer.
I cannot do sarvanga asana as I am very stiff due to raynauds. If you can suggest something, I will be grateful.
regards

Jayashree Kanoi

Re: Sugar Fall By: akh826

April 12 2008
Please Describe ( How to do) all the asnas as every body cant under only by the name of asna. How ever the detail of asna can be helpful for the reader and the man to get benifited.

April 12 2008
Respected Jayashree
Please give slight detail of the potures asna detail.

Re: Sugar Fall By: udaya kumar
--

April 12 2008
I. Matsyendrasana: This Asana is known after Rishi Matsyendra who taught his disciples this difficult Asana (posture). Due to the difficulty, Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lateral Spinal Twist) was more adopted.

Ardha Matsyendrasana :

1. Keep the legs stretched forward.

2. Bend the right leg and bring its heels to the perineum ( under the testicles close to the seat of mooladhara or prostate gland)
3. bend left leg, use the hand to slightly lift the left ankle and place it on the outerside of the left knee.

4. See that the heel of right leg do not move from its original position where it was fixed earlier.

5. Allow the the right armpit to rest on the outer side of the left thigh.

6. Using the armpit push the knee backwards so that it touches the back part of the armpit.

7. Hold the toe of the left foot with the right hand.

8. Twist the spine slowly. Pressure will be exterted on the joint of the left shoulder. Head, neck, armpit, eyes all must turn together. The Chin should come parrellel to the left armpit. Let the spine be twisted to the left side as far as possible. Turn the head also to the left as far as possible.

9. Bring the left hand backwards and try to place it on the right thigh.

10. Keep the spine erect.

11. Remain in position upto 15 seconds

12. Breath should be taken before the twist and breath should be released before the twist actual starts. Breath in when you come back to normal position.

13. Repeat on reverse direction.

14. May do upto five times.

Benefits : Vertebrae and back muscles gets flexibility and elasticity. Rejuvenates and strengthens Nadivyuha (nerve conglomeration). Adrenal Glands are regulated. Activates Pancreatic Glands and therefore are of immense benefit to Diabetic patients. Prostrate and bladder do not become hypotrophied on practice of this asana. Many maladies of the stomach and intestine are relieved as the stomach is contracted on one side and stretched on the other side. It awakens Kundalini and stabilizes Chandranadi. Adjusts and corrects the displacements of vertebrae, and improves blood circulation.
Backache(lumbao), pains in hip joints, sciatica disappear rapidly. Neck muscles become powerful. Pave way for Poorna(Complete) or Paripoorna(Absolute) Matsyendrasna (Spinal Twist).

II. Poorna (Purna) Matsyendrasana:

Here you will place the right foot at the root of the left thigh thigh (i.e. keep in above the thigh and not below). Keep its heels pressed to the navel.

2. Keep the left foot on the floor behind the right knee.

3. Bring the right hand out from under the left knee and with the help of its thumb and first finger hold the toe of the left foot.

4. Bring your left hand to behind your back.

5. Keep the head and body turned to the left side.

6. Twist the waist.

7. Look at the tip of the nose. while head is twisted alongwith the body and waist as far behind as possible.

8. Breathe in Slowly.

9. Retain this position upto 15 seconds or more.

10 Increase the time as practice improves.

11. Alternate the sides.

Benefits : All benefits of Ardha Matsyendrasana.

2. beneficial for rheumatism.

3. Supplies fresh blood to Prana Nadi.

4. Awaken Kundalini.

5. Rejuvenates Ida and Pingala Nadi.

6. Very much beneficial for diabetis,

7. Increase vigour and vitality.

Here we must remember the functions of Ida Pingala and Sushumna Nadis and their connections with the left right nostrils and the so called nasal polyps in their natural gland form functioning as the thermostat in the nostrils for controlling the heat and temperature of the air to be breathed into the lungs.

The breath in the right nostril is hot and is dominated by the Sun. The breath in the
left nostril is cold and is dominated by the moon. The right Nadi Pingala is connected to right nostril and the Sun ( and is of the colour of fire) and the left Nadi Ida is connected to the left nose and the Moon. This is the miniature universe called microcosm. The gravitational and magnetic interaction between the vayu (air) flowing in these two Nadis with the Sushumna the Prana Vayu or the Vital force is responsible for our continued life or living. When Matsyendrasana rejuvenates the Chandrnadi or Suryanadi, it in fact is activating the life force.

The reason for the modalities in homeopathy as right sided and left sided other than due to the existence of the organs on respective side should have become very clear here.

i.e. If a person sleeps on the left side he is bound to breath through the right nostrils more and habitually doing so would keep his body warm or hot and prone to maladies emanating from Pitta (Bile). While a person sleepin on the right side will be breathing more through the left nostril and is bound to have a cold body and afflict maladies easily from Kapha (or waterborn) maladies. When the balancing factor air (Vayu) is taken through both the nostrils there is balance in the Pitta(Bile), Kapha(Phlegm) and Vata (Vayu) and harmony is maitained in the body and therefore it would be healthy body.

The cause for more left sided paralysis can also be traced to this root problem of breathing imbalance for a life time. When the Ida, Pingala and Sushumna are rejuvenated, automatically the breathing tends to be through both nostrils because of the prime function of the Nadis dominating the mental attitudes of the individual and enforcing the discipline to do the right thing. The turning in bed while sleeping also therefore has a fundamentally positive function as far as health of individual are concerned.

III. JANUSHIRSASANA: The knee is called Janu and Shirass(Shir/Sir) means head. The posture meeting of the head and the knee is what is termed as Janushirsasana(or Janushirasana). It is a variation of Pashchimottanasana (back stretching pose) the difference being here only one leg is stretched.

Technique :
1. sit on the mat on floor.
2. keep the legs stretched forward.
3. Place the left heel pressing on perennium or groin region.
4. Keep the right leg stretched and straight
5. Hold the right foot with both hands
6. Exhale and hold the stomach In.
7. Lower the head as well as body slowly towards the right knee
8. Place the forehead and chin on knee.
9. Remain in this position upto 10 seconds or more.
10. Increase time gradually.
11. Repeat upto 5 times or more as required alternating legs.

Benefits :

helps digestion. help pacifying the gastric fire. helps in celebacy. Tones up and cures kidney,liver, stomach and abdominal ailments., awakens kundalini. Removes lethargy, sluggishness and weakness. Alongwith Paschimottanasana it activates the life force that flows in Sushumna Nadi. The combination of paschimottanasan, Janu Shirasana and Purna Matsyendrasana therefore activates the life force in the body flowing through all the three Nadis The Sushumna, the Ida and the Pingala. Very rarely this can be achieved by any means known to mankind other than Pranayama. THE EXCESSIVE FAT AROUND THE ABDOMEN IS REDUCED BY PRACTISING THIS AND PASCHIMOTTANASANA.(In paschimottanasana the difference is that both legs would be stretched). Helps in curing costipation, indigestion, and loss of appetite. Helps shaping the body and making it handsome.

IV. Kapalabhati (Frontal Brain Bellowing): Kapala means skull. Bhati means to illuminate or shine. Therefore, a glow is achieved or Chaitanya is achieved by it constant practise. it is one of the six purification processes (Shad Karmas) known to Hatha Yoga.

Technique :

Sit in Padmasana or Sidhasana or Sukhasana or any comfortable sitting posture. Place the hands on the knees. Lower the eyes. Exhale quickly without concentrating on the inhalation with sounds like that from the bellows of a blacksmith. Body will perspire. Start with one exhalation per second may increase to two per second. Initially do only ten to fifteen times. Gradually increase the cycles.

Benefits : Every benefit under the Sun has been ascribed to this technique. Fundamentally, Kapalabhati supplies plenty of oxygen to the body and removes carbon dioxide in abundance and therefore leads to a very healthy lungs devoid of Tuberculosis or Asthma like maladies, supplies plenty of oxygenated blood to the cirulation thereby purifying and improving the blood circulation for the common good of the whole body throbbing with life. Toning up heart, lungs, circulatory system invariably improves the digestive, excretory and other system preventing diseases like cancer and related ones with the toxin of the body. Bhastrika and Kapalbhati practice for just a few of days can remove dandruff. Daily practice of just the Kapalabhati is said to keep the human beings healthy.

with best wishes.

--

--

April 12 2008
duplicate deleted. what asana can correct this malady of duplication? Very Happy

--

Re: Sugar Fall By: gavinimurthy

April 13 2008
Don't press the 'submit' button twice, even if the progress bar seems to have stuck.

If you are in doubt, copy your long post and paste it in any 'word' document like note pad or MS word and save it.

Refresh the page and you normally see that the content is posted.

Murthy

Re: Sugar Fall By: gavinimurthy

April 13 2008
Perhaps this animation may supplement Udaya's explanation of Ardha Matsyendrasana .

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/halfspinaltwist.asp

Murthy

--

April 13 2008
thanks gavini, it would certainly help those who are not familiar with it. rgds.

--

Calcutta, India

April 14 2008
Double post. had hit the send button but as the connection was very slow edited it more and posted.
regards

Jayashree Kanoi

Calcutta, India

April 14 2008
Thanks Udaya and Gavini. Have been away for a few days and as am very busy at present am unable to visit. But the two of you have really simplified the yoga postures. Gavini I went to the above site and it is very informative.
Actually we had learnt about yoga in school and the postures names had stuck in my mind and i understood about them from name only. There must be millions of people like akh826 who do not understand the basics of yoga. It is people like you who are a great help.
As for me I am quite stiff and am unable to do all the asanas fully. with the help of my teacher I am getting better. She being quite knowledgeable can guide me to avoid the common mistakes made by people.
regards

Jayashree Kanoi

April 14 2008
Thank you Ugaya and Gavini. very well explained.

April 14 2008
sorry for wrong speeling of Udaya

Re: Sugar Fall By: garcot
Bangalore

April 15 2008
Curry Leaves for Diabetes of certain types:

Curry leaves improve functioning of the stomach and small intestine and promote their action. They improve the quality of digestive juices secreted during digestion. Their action starts with intake. Their smell, taste and visual impression initiates salivary secretion and initiates the peristaltic wave, which is the first step in good digestion. They are mildly laxative and thus can tackle multiple digestive problems caused by food intake. They are directly added to food or an extract in the form of juice is added to buttermilk and consumed at the end of lunch/dinner. In case of a digestive upset, buttermilk enriched with the paste of curry leaves, common salt and cumin seed powder is recommended. This combination is also useful in problems such as loss of appetite, tastelessness of mouth as in case of fever etc. where food intake is a problem. Curry leaves are one of the important ingredients of herbal tonics and are parallel to digestive enzymatic tonics in allopathy.

A paste of these leaves with limejuice and honey/sugar/crystal sugar powder is a time-tested medicine in the treatment of hyperemesis graviderum. Nausea, dry vomiting, vomiting and food intolerance are few other conditions where this paste is used as a remedy. Curry leaves have some role in the treatment of diarrhea, dysentery and idiopathic loose motions though they are not antidiarrheal in the true sense. Fresh juice/ a paste of fresh leaves/a teaspoonful of powdered dried leaves /a mixture of curry leaves, coriander, mint leaves, etc. is a commonly known home made remedy.

Certain ayurvedic research says that curry leaves have some role in controlling non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. People with DM due to obesity or heredity should try this treatment. A paste of about 8 to 10 fresh, fully-grown curry leaves is to be taken on an empty stomach in the morning for a minimum of 3 months for desired results. Many people have also reported weight loss, which is an additional benefit in diabetic people.

Rgds
Garcot

"wisdom in your body is deeper than your deepest philosophy"(Nietszche)

Re:Sugar Fall By: 123homeo
N. America

August 12 2009
Dear Teachers
Thank you for sharing the Yoga asanas. Are there any simple breathing exercises or yoga poses like the one on the link on this website which will reduce the blood sugar level?
http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/halfspinaltwist.asp
Kind regards

Re:Sugar Fall By: Jayashree
Calcutta, India

August 13 2009
I am sad to say that inspite of the sugar fall before my sugar has again increased and am now on Insulin Inj plus abt 10 tabs daily plus homeopathy, but my sugar keeps fluctuating. not really decreased.If I miss even one it is back high.

Jayashree Kanoi

Re:Sugar Fall By: 123homeo
N. America

August 14 2009
Thank you Jayashree for your reply

Please try after checking with the knowledgeable team about Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. and Syn Jam

I have started on the EVC for the last 2 week and i am very very pleased with the results. I will be seeing my dr. soon then i will report on my progress on that EVC thread.

I take EVC 1 tbsp 3 times a day.

I also do breathing exercise nothing rigorous just watching my breath in and out. (I learnt it at the Vipasana course - here)
Something similar is offered in Bangalore - Anapanasathi Pyramid meditation) This Person has learnt it from the Guru in India and now teaching it in New Zealand. It has attested many ailments.

Please Ask the Teachers in this team about that syn jam and EVC you can read on this website.
kind regards

Calcutta, India

August 15 2009
Dear Sir,
I am taking Cephalandra Indica Q 20 drops twice daily and when I switched to Insulin 30 and Pancreatin 30 my sugar again went high.
What is EVC? could not find any info on it.
I am also taking Cinamon Powder, 1 Tsp mixture of Cumin and cinamon on an empty stomach but to no avail. I am staying with it as it should help in some way.
I do Pranayam every morning if possible - Anulom Vilom for 5 minutes and Kapal Bhati for 8 minutes. Five times a week is fixed. Also excercise with a teacher 3 times a week and massage the other 3 days.

Jayashree Kanoi

Re:Sugar Fall By: garcot
Bangalore

August 16 2009
Hi Jayashree,

I have a couple, who are my family friends in the 50s age group, and they are seeing good results with Amrutha Balli ( Kannada ) Guduchi (Hindi), Tinospora cordifolia ( botonical). Both of them eat about 10 leaves in the morning on empty stomach. It is very bitter, though they don't both mind. I think, an article was written in the forum sometime ago.

It is suppose to be a life producer in the sense, if we leave a branch of leaves hanging in open air, it grows with the help of atomospheric nutrients.

You must be aware of all the details about this plant, and if you need anything more, please let me know.

Calcutta, India

August 17 2009
No didnt know about this. It is also known as Giloya. Just saw on google. Have heard about thisbut never seen it too. Will look for it and let you know.
I am taking dried balls of a mixture of Kalmegh patta, Neem, curry leaves and krishna tulsi. It has controlled my IBS to a great degree and I was told that long time use will also cure my diabetes. Lets see. Will post on the forum if so. Its only been 20 days or so my taking this mixture. Kalmegh is Andrograaphics Peniculata, KIRAYAT, BHUNIMBA.
Can be found on Google

Jayashree Kanoi

Re:Sugar Fall By: garcot
Bangalore

August 18 2009
Reference: http://www.veria.com/conditions-a-z/diabetes-mellitus.html

Ayurvedic Treatments
Vasantkusumakara easa is the ayurvedic preparation most often prescribed for diabetes. Mix two grains with ˝ teaspoon of cream and 1/4 teaspoon of sugar and take twice a day on an empty stomach.

Other treatments include:

* Decoction of Chebulic myrobalan, nut grass and Lodh bark, 15 ml twice a day
* Decoction of red sandalwood, Arjuna tree bark, Deodara bark and Costus root, 15 ml twice a day
* Fresh juice of Tinospora cordifolia along with honey, 30 ml twice a day
* Powder of three Myrobalans, powder of purified Asphalt and purified Iron calx should be taken in the dose of 1 g twice daily
* Cold infusion of turmeric, three Myrobalans and tree turmeric with honey, 30 ml once a day
* Vanga bhasma, 250 mg twice a day, along with Tinospora cordifolia powder and honey or with powder of fruits of puncture vine, sugar and milk.
* Pure Asphalt powder should be taken along with milk and sugar in the dose of 250 mg daily.
* Purified Iron pyrites calx should be taken with extract of Tinospora cordifolia and honey.

Other remedies are:

* Chandraprabha vati, 500 mg with 500 mg karela (or stone of rose apple) taken three times a day
* Shilajit - 240 mg, twice a day after meals
* Nyagrodadhi churna - 3 gm, twice a day after meals
* Vasantkusumakara rasa - 120 mg
* Nag Bhasma - 120 mg, twice a day with honey
* Haldi - 500 mg, twice a day with honey
* Amalaki churna - 500 mg twice a day with honey

Acupuncture
Some researchers speculate that acupuncture may trigger the release of natural painkillers and reduce the debilitating symptoms of a complication of diabetes known as neuropathy.
Interested patients should discuss acupuncture for treating diabetes with a licensed practitioner.

Homeopathic Treatments
The following homeopathic remedies are recommended, in accordance with the symptoms described below:

* Phosphorus: to stabilize blood sugar and energy levels.
* Codeinum: 3X four to six times daily for depression and skin irritation.
* Syzygium: 1X every eight hours as a general remedy.
* Argenticum metallicum: a remedy for emaciation and great weakness; pale and sallow face and swollen feet.
* Arsenicum album: for dry, brittle scaly skin, dry mouth, unquenchable thirst, no appetite, constipation. Often this patient “wastes away” and becomes very dry and thin.
* Carbo vegetabilis: dryness of mouth in the early morning, pain in liver as if bruised; sudden weakness and fainting, physical depression and lassitude.
* Chionanthus Virginica: for a pre-diabetic state in the patient with liver disease; great thirst, dark, sugary urine; insulin resistant.
* Moschus: for diabetes with impotency.
* Natrum muriaticum: for dry skin, itching all over body; restlessness, frequent urination
* Nux vomica: stupor and vertigo, buzzing in ears, sleeplessness.
* Phosphoric acid: fits the nervous patient who has milk-colored urine; great debility and bruised feeling in muscles; symptoms worsen with grief, worry, anxiety; early stage diabetes.
* Plumbum metallicum: for constipation, and protein overflowing into the urine (which is determined by urinalysis).
* Ratanhia: for scanty urine.
* Uranium nitricum: for diabetes caused by defective assimilation; weak digestion, languor, debility; hunger even when stomach feels full.

Naturopathic treatments
Naturopathy advises a high fiber, complex carbohydrate diet, regular exercise and yoga therapy for the management of diabetes. A low calorie diet is advised for obese diabetics. Reducing weight in obese Type 2 diabetes patients can help to stop the medications including insulin.

The following herbs are used for treating diabetes:

* Bitter gourd fruit fresh juice – 50 ml 1 to 3 times per day (before meals)
* Gymnema leaves – 5 g 3 times per day
* Fenugreek seeds powder – 15 g 3 times/day 30 minutes before meals
* Ginkgo biloba extract - 40 mg 3 times per day
* Green tea – 2 cups daily
* Jambul fruit seeds and fruits
* Take two tender leaves of Neem and Bael each, on an empty stomach in the morning.

Yoga
Studies have shown that regular practice of yoga can prevent Type 2 Diabetes in susceptible individuals, and reduce blood sugar in both Type 1 and 2 diabetes. Some recommendations include:

* Bandha: Uddiyana bandha, Mula bandha, Jalandhara Bandha
* Ten rounds of Surya Namaskaram
* Forward bend poses like Shashankasana, Paschimottanasana, Baddha Konasana, Halasana
* Backward bend poses like Bhujangasana, Shalabhasana, Dhanurasana, Chakrasana, Matsyasana, Setubandha sarvangasana, Vipareeta Dandasana, Ustrasana
* Inverted poses like Sarvangasana, Sirsasana, Sarvangasana with the help of chair, or wall, Viparita karani
* Restorative asanas like Shavasana and Makarasana
* Pranayamas such as Nadi shuddhi, Surya bheda, Ujjayi, Sheetkari, Sheetali, Bhastrika, and Bhramari
* Meditation andYoga nidra.

Nutritional Therapy
People with diabetes can improve significantly from lifestyle changes— particularly diet and exercise. Type 2 diabetics can even eliminate the need for medications when they make adequate and appropriate lifestyle changes.

Diet
There is no special diet for diabetics except to avoid simple sugars. They can consume normal diet with few modifications. They should consume a healthy, low-fat diet, rich in grains and vegetables. A healthy diet typically includes 10% to 20% of daily calories from protein (including poultry, fish, dairy, and vegetable sources). Diabetics who also have kidney disease should limit protein intake to 10% of daily calories. A low-fat diet typically includes 30% or less of daily calories from fat—less than 10% from saturated fats and up to 10% from polyunsaturated fats (such as fats from fish).
In addition, weight loss should be part of the plan for those with Type 2 diabetes.

Moderate weight loss (achieved by reducing calories by 250 to 500 per day and exercising regularly) not only controls blood sugars but blood pressure and cholesterol as well. Diabetics who eat healthy, well-balanced diets will not need to take extra vitamins or minerals to treat their condition.

Recommended foods:

* Green leafy vegetables
* All vegetables except for roots and tubers
* Tomato juice or lime juice without sugar
* Sugarless green or black tea (without milk)
* Vegetable soups (without butter) or skimmed butter milk
* Salads, sprouts.

Foods to avoid:

* Jam, sugar, honey, glucose
* Sweets and desserts
* Corn flour
* Cakes and pastries
* Ghee, Dalda, Vanaspathi, coconut oil, butter
* Organ meats like brain, liver, kidney, etc
* Highly sweet fruits like banana, mango, dates
* Dried fruits
* Cooked carrots, sweet potato
* Tender coconut, coconut water
* Carbonated soft drinks such

Recommended nutritional supplements:

* Vitamin E - 600 IU/day
* Zinc Picolinate – 25 mg/day
* Chromium - 300 mcg/day
* Fiber (guar, oat bran, pectin) – 30 g/day

More than one-third of all people with diabetes develop a painful condition known as diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage). Studies suggest that the following antioxidant supplements may improve nerve communication in damaged areas and reduce the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy:

* Alpha-lipoic acid
* Gamma-linolenic acid (evening primrose oil is a rich source).

Exercise Therapy
Exercise plays an important role in controlling diabetes because it lowers blood sugar and helps insulin to work more efficiently in the body. Exercise also enhances cardiovascular fitness by improving blood flow and increasing the heart's pumping power. It also promotes weight loss and lowers blood pressure. People with diabetes who exercise are less likely to experience a heart attack or stroke than diabetics who do not exercise regularly. Exercise should be done regularly at least three to four sessions per week for 30 to 60 minutes per session. People with Type 2 diabetes who exercise regularly have been shown to lose weight and gain better control over their blood pressure, thereby reducing their risk for cardiovascular disease (a major complication of diabetes). Studies have also shown that people with Type 1 diabetes who regularly exercise reduce their need for insulin injections.

Choose an enjoyable physical activity that is appropriate for your current fitness level. Try to exercise every day, and at the same time of day, if possible. Monitor blood glucose levels before and after exercise. Carry food that contains a fast-acting carbohydrate in case you become hypoglycemic during or after exercise. Also carry a diabetes identification card and a mobile phone or change for a payphone in case of emergency.

Drink extra fluids that do not contain sugar before, during, and after exercise. Changes in exercise intensity or duration may require changes in diet or medication dose to keep blood sugar levels from going too high or low.

Psychotherapy and Counseling
Stressful life events can worsen diabetes in several ways. For example, stress stimulates the nervous and endocrine systems in ways that increase blood glucose levels and disrupts healthful behaviors (increasing the chances that an individual may consume a high level of calories and limit his or her physical activity—a pattern that leads to elevated blood glucose).

Studies have shown that diabetics who participate in biofeedback sessions are more likely to reach target blood glucose levels than diabetics who do not receive biofeedback. Biofeedback, tai chi, yoga, and other forms of relaxation may help motivate people with diabetes to change their habits in order to manage their condition.

Foot care
People with diabetes are prone to foot problems because of the likelihood of damage to blood vessels and nerves and a decreased ability to fight infection. Problems with blood flow and damage to nerves may cause an injury to the foot to go unnoticed until infection develops. Death of skin and other tissue can occur. If left untreated, the affected foot may need to be amputated. Diabetes is the most common condition leading to amputations.

To prevent injury to the feet, people with diabetes should adopt a daily routine of checking and caring for the feet as follows:

* Check feet every day, and report sores or changes and signs of infection
* Wash feet every day with lukewarm water and mild soap, and dry them thoroughly
* Soften dry skin with lotion or petroleum jelly
* Protect feet with comfortable, well-fitting shoes
* Exercise daily to promote good circulation
* See a podiatrist for foot problems or to have corns or calluses removed
* Remove shoes and socks during a visit to your health care provider and remind him or her to examine your feet
* Stop smoking, which hinders blood flow to the feet

Preventive Care

Maintaining an ideal body weight and an active lifestyle may prevent the onset of Type 2 diabetes. Currently there is no way to prevent Type 1 diabetes.

Calcutta, India

August 18 2009
Thanks Garcot. Its a very well researched article. Will see what I can do, but most excercises are beyond me as my legs are very weak and i cannot do many postures. Also have high blood pressure so cannot do the front bending postures.
Thanks again

Jayashree Kanoi

Page 1 of 1
Page 1 of 1
IMPORTANT: This site provides only educational materials, all advices given here are only for educational purpose.